Ok… people… let’s start. These are the steps :
1) Goal. Decide what kind of results you want in 30 days. No- you will not drop a size. No- you will not lose 10 kgs.
You should aim for 500 gm fat loss/week which is 2 kg fat loss/month. This will translate into substantial inch loss. You may not start wearing UK 10 from a 12 but your 12 size will fit much better. The focus should be on changing habits. Will you SEE a difference? Of course. Will the people around you see a difference? Definitely. Also, the more weight you need to lose, the faster you shed the initial kilos. For example, if you need to lose 20-30 kgs your initial weight loss will be faster than someone who needs to lose 5-10 kgs. So, stop comparing with someone else. This is YOUR journey.
2) Meal Planning. The most important step. If you cannot start eating right from today, it’s ok. Start tomorrow or on Sunday or Monday but do start. Spend the next 2-3 days in planning your meal and buying groceries. Last month I visited a dietitian at Fortis who gave me below meal plan. You can follow that.
Here is the 1400 calories plan. This was of course customised to suit me.
If you cannot see this very clearly, click on the picture.
And this is my plan for today.
3) Grocery shopping. Stick to the list and never ever shop when you are hungry. You will end up buying crap.
Here are a few Dos and Don’ts:
– Don’t wake up in the morning determined to change your entire lifestyle the same day. It doesn’t work that way. You need to unlearn a lot of things you have been doing for your entire life. It takes time. Pick one goal for the week and try to follow just that. Examples of goals:
- Heavy b’fast every morning
- Dinner by 7 pm
- Exercise 6 days in a week
- Stop drinking colas
- Stop eating junk at 6 pm
- Eat 2 servings of fruits everyday
- Don’t eat potatoes
- Eat either roti or rice for lunch
- Stop eating Maggi
How about this? Share your goal with me and I can do a post with all your goals to motivate the rest. We can all then compare results after a week and learn from each other.
– Throw away the junk. If there is no junk how will you eat any? I have stopped buying Maggi, I don’t even remember the last time I ate that shit. There are days when am tempted but not so tempted that I will walk to the grocery store, buy it, cook it and eat it.
– Exercise atleast 6 days in a week. This is a fitness plan and not a weight loss plan so you should workout. If you want to be healthy and fit you should workout. Do anything- whatever you like. Don’t get hassled by cardio Vs strength training at this stage. Run, cycle, swim, strength train, play a sport… anything.. as long as you can stick to it. I find it easier to eat right on days I workout. It is a psychological thing. Also, I don’t have time to eat junk. I spend all day in office where I have carried all the food I need to eat, then I rush to the gym and then am so exhausted I don’t even feel like eating. In fact, days when am home, eating right is a problem.
– Don’t plan for cheat days or cheat meals. We all know we are going to slip up and cheat. It’s ok. Happens. Why plan for it? What happens is that you have cheated… and then you won’t skip the planned cheat meal. So you end up cheating twice. So, let’s not plan for it.
– Eat every 2-3 hours. It is not that difficult. Have peanuts if you cannot find anything. Eat fruits. Have coconut water. Have a juice without sugar.
Ok… now I need to rush. Let’s start.